Map of the Americas

Map of the Americas
We are using this map to find our way home. We will be marking where we are in big fat red marker like Indiana Jones. (map idea courtesy of Blake Golden)

Monday, March 3, 2008

Chachapoyas or Bust!

Cajamarca, Perú Monday March 3rd 11am

I´d put some pics up, the computer won´t let me right now. Sorry!

Aight, so I´m sort of forcing a blog here due to time, but it´s because I´m about to embark on an adventure! We are traveling in rural Perú right now and will probably be without internet for several days. We are trying to get to Chacapoyas, which is another Inca ruin, but unpopular because it´s very hard to get to and it´s not MachuPicchu. We are taking a little bus along a dirt road in about an hour for five hours. We´ll find a town of 10,000 there and stay the night. Then hopefully we can find a truck that should take us through the Andes for about ten hours to Chacapoyas. Chacapoyas is a decent sized town and you can get there easily by another route, but we´re adventurous and gonna see what happens. I´m really excited about this! If you care to google map us, we´ll be at Celendín, Perú. Check it!

Blog Points:
1. In Iquitos I saw a patient who had an obvious run of the mill virus. I mean fever for a day, not a big one, aching joints, stuffy nose, cough, but didn´t feel too bad. Obvious virus, come back in a few days if it persists. Well I tell her not to worry you only have a virus. It should be gone in a couple days. Well she gets white faced with panic. I´m like, what did I say? I look at my friend Teresa over there and she quickly starts telling her she doesn´t have a virus but rather just ¨agripe¨ or ¨resfrio¨ which are words for the common cold. Apparenly the word virus translates to HIV or Hepatitis. OOPS!

1 comment:

Abby Maddox said...

That map is cool, and I am the first to appreciate anything old and made out of paper :), but do you think that you might need a modern map, with some modern cities/roads before you set off into the unknown? Pull that out when your sipping sherry by the fire in your library to show all your friends your great adventure. Until then, let's try for some practicality so that you might actually make it back home.