Map of the Americas

Map of the Americas
We are using this map to find our way home. We will be marking where we are in big fat red marker like Indiana Jones. (map idea courtesy of Blake Golden)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Iquitos, Peru Monday February 18th, 7pm

Today has been pretty chill. I worked this morning as I do every morning, save Sundays, at the Health Center. There is a nice doctor, Emerson, that lets me shadow him every morning from 7-11. It´s nothing exciting, but I do get to listen and speak in Spanish for four hours a day. And that is what I was looking for.

I´ve also decided to tutor English for the last two weeks that I´m here. I´m giving lessons to about 4-5 friends/employees of Eva´s lab from 4-8 in the afternoon everyday until I leave. We just made a schedule and already I´m practically full! It´s great seeing people wanting to learn English! So that should be fun and rewarding. Hopefully I can teach them some good English as well as give them a southern accent!

Blog Points:
1. Women here dress differently. I´m not sure if it´s just the lack of jobs, so when people get a job they dress well, or if women just want to look really sexy all the time. Two examples. One, the lady who pumped our gas the other day was sure enough wearing a MINI-MINI skirt. Two, we stopped into a different gas station the other day to buy a drink. The woman behind the counter running the gas station was really cute and was wearing this 1970´s airline stewardess outfit. It even included that thing that went around their necks. Can you imagine that in the States? I can´t.

1 comment:

ml said...

I wish I could dress like that. Maybe in about 10 years, the outfits I loved when I was a little girl in the 80's will be in style there.
Also, DO NOT encourage Hays in the "no Valentine's presents" category. AND, thanks for linking our blog!