Map of the Americas

Map of the Americas
We are using this map to find our way home. We will be marking where we are in big fat red marker like Indiana Jones. (map idea courtesy of Blake Golden)

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Iquitos, Peru Wednesday February 20th, 11pm

Well today came and went pretty fast. Part of that was due to the great teaching session I had this afternoon and another part was due to Tom Sawyer. The teaching session was about three hours today with a student Marianella. it´s obvious that she really wants to learn English, so I am glad to teach her. It´s funny because she works in a lab so she knows words like incubator and centrifuge, but I had to teach her words like ¨also¨. Couldn´t you just imagine a child learning the word centrifuge before the word also? I don´t know, but I would think the word ¨also¨ should come around age 4. If I had a 4 year old throwing around words like ¨malaria strains¨ I would be a bit nervous!

Well Tom Sawyer passed the day with me today as well. I´m sad he´s gone because that marks the last of the books in English! But boy what a good taste he has left. I simply love Mark Twain and rereading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is kin to watching Forrest Gump. It´s just goodness and more endearing everytime. I say it is my last book in English, but I still have The People´s History of the United States on Sundays, and I can always buy others, but having already read 5 books in English this trip, it is time to start the Spanish! Lord knows my Spanish needs to improve, and books are good for that. I´m half way done with a translated Twain´s Prince and Pauper, then I´m going to read Robin Hood in Spanish. Then on to Cien Años en Soledad by Gabriel García Marquez! I´ve always wished to read that book in English, so the Spanish should only make it better!

Well, I didn´t see the eclipse tonite. It was too cloudy here. I hear the next one will come in 2010. I´ll have to see that one! I´ve seen shooting stars, comet showers, and nearly been struck by lightning (it knocked me down), but I´ve NEVER seen an eclipse! I guess it will just be all the sweeter when I see one someday.

No comments: